Greeting Someone

Monday, September 21, 2009

Greeting Someone

The following words are the ways to greet someone.

  1. Hi!
  2. Hi there!
  3. Hello!
  4. Good morning! Or Morning!
  5. Good afternoon!
  6. Good evening! Or Evening!

When we are introduced to someone or when we meet someone for the time, we say:

  1. How do you do?
  2. (It’s) please to meet you.
  3. (It’s) nice to meet you.
  4. (I’m) glad to meet you.
  5. (I’m) delighted to meet you.
  6. (I’m) cheerful to meet you.

When we are introduced to someone or when we meet someone for the second time, the third time, the fourth time, or ….etc, we say:

  1. (I’m) nice to see you.
  2. (I’m) please to see you.
  3. (I’m) glad to see you
  4. (I’m) delighted to see you.
  5. (I’m) cheerful to see you.

For example:

SON : Hi. Mum! I’m home. This is my mother. This is my friend, Andy.

ANDY: It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Susan.

MUM : I’m glad to meet you, too, Andy.